AVER Bataan Chapter
Albuquerque and Santa Fe, New Mexico
In this section:
Upgrading Your Discharge
Watch this Space
If you received anything but an "Honorable" Discharge, this may affect your VA Benefits. Here's how you can apply for consideration in having your discharge upgraded:
Bottom Line Upfront
1. Obtain a copy of DD Form 293, "Application for the Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States."
2. Complete personal information in Section 1.
3. If you are making the application on behalf of another individual, complete Section 2.
4. Indicate the action you wish the board to accomplish in Section 3.
5. In section 4, indicate whether you wish to appear before the board in Washington D.C., wait for a traveling board, or have a records only review.
6. If another person is representing you, complete section 5.
7. Complete Section 6 if you elect not to be represented by counsel.
8. List supporting documentation in Section 7.
9. In Section 8, tell the board exactly why they should consider upgrading your discharge.
10. Sign and Date the Form in Section 9.
11. Mail the completed form to the address listed on the reverse side of the DD Form 293.